14 August 2008

Previous 10: Olympic Edition

In order to keep you all, and myself as well, informed as to what I'm watching, I'm going to post a little blurb like this for every ten films I watch, whether I've had the chance to write about them, felt the desire to write about them or can't post my words due to copyright. I've already designated a three-tier hierarchy for the 2008 films, and I think I'll revise that for when I get around to posting films released prior to then as three seems rather shallow. I don't want to reduce these films to a thumbs up or down, but for the films released theatrically in the US during 2008, it makes it easier for me to sort them all out by the time I get to December and have to make my best of the year list. So here are the most recent ten with an unintentional nod to the Beijing Olympics, as three of them are set partially or wholly in the Olympic village.

La Crème

The Band's Visit [Bikur Ha-Tizmoret] - dir. Eran Kolirin - Israel/France/USA - Sony Pictures Classics - with Sasson Gabai, Ronit Elkabetz, Saleh Bakri, Khalifa Natour

Boy A - dir. John Crowley - UK - Weinstein Company - with Andrew Garfield, Peter Mullan, Siobhan Finneran, Shaun Evans, James Young

The Houseboy - dir. Spencer Schilly - USA - TLA Releasing - with Nick May, Blake Young-Fountain, Damián Fuentes, Tom Merlino, Brian Patacca, Michael Hill

Transsiberian - dir. Brad Anderson - Spain/UK/Germany/Lithuania - First Look - with Emily Mortimer, Woody Harrelson, Ben Kingsley, Kate Mara, Eduardo Noriega, Thomas Kretschmann

Les Autres

The Babysitters - dir. David Ross - USA - Peace Arch - with Katherine Waterston, John Leguizamo, Andy Comeau, Lauren Birkell, Cynthia Nixon

Baghead - dir. Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass - USA - Sony Pictures Classics - with Ross Partridge, Steve Zissis, Greta Gerwig, Elise Muller, Jett Garner

My Brother Is an Only Child [Mio fratello è figlio unico] - dir. Daniele Luchetti - Italy/France - ThinkFilm - with Elio Germano, Riccardo Scamarcio, Diane Fleri

Summer Palace - dir. Lou Ye - China/France - Palm Pictures - with Bai Xueyun, Cui Lin, Duan Long, Guo Xiaodong, Hao Lei

The Bad


Lost in Beijing - dir. Li Yu - China - New Yorker - with Tony Leung Ka Fai, Fan Bingbing, Tong Dawei, Elaine Jin

Teeth - dir. Mitchell Lichtenstein - USA - Roadside Attractions/Dimension - with Jess Weixler, John Hensley, Hale Appleman, Lenny von Dohlen

No comments: