29 July 2008

What I've Been Watching, 2008-style: UPDATED

Because I tend to be absent-minded, I thought I'd post a running list of the 2008 films (as per US release date) I've been viewing. It'll help me out when I have to make that annual best of, and perhaps keep you up to date on what I'm watching even if I'm not writing about them. I've divided them into three categories: La Crème (aka, the shining gems), The Bad (self-explanatory), and Les Autres (which are films that are fine, neither amazing nor awful, or for films that are sort of void of such distinctions, like Mother of Tears). And just for the sake of my own annoyance, please don't post on here about my feelings toward The Dark Knight. I'm resisting throwing myself anywhere near that potato, and if you really are interested in my feelings toward it, feel free to e-mail me. I'd rather this not turn into a discussion of that film. So here they are:

UPDATED: With Elegy and Shutter.

La Crème

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired - dir. Marina Zenovich - USA/UK - HBO/ThinkFilm

Tell No One [Ne le dis à personne] - dir. Guillaume Canet - France - Music Box Films - with François Cluzet, André Dussollier, Marie-Josée Croze, Kristin Scott Thomas, François Berléand, Gilles Lellouche, Nathalie Baye, Jean Rochefort, Marina Hands, Philippe Lefebvre, Guillaume Canet

The Witnesses [Les Témoins] dir. André Téchiné - France - Strand Releasing - with Michel Blanc, Emmanuelle Béart, Sami Bouajila, Julie Depardieu, Johan Libéreau

Les Autres

Before I Forget [Avant que j'oublie] - dir. Jacques Nolot - France - Strand Releasing - with Jacques Nolot, Jean-Pol Dubois, Marc Rioufol, Bastien d'Asnières, Gaetano Weysen-Volli

The Dark Knight - dir. Christopher Nolan - USA - Warner - with Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Eric Roberts

Elegy - dir. Isabel Coixet - USA - Red Envelope/Samuel Goldwyn - with Ben Kingsley, Penélope Cruz, Dennis Hopper, Patricia Clarkson, Deborah Harry, Peter Sarsgaard

Heidi Fleiss: The Would-Be Madam of Crystal - dir. Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato - USA - HBO

Recount - dir. Jay Roach - USA - HBO - with Kevin Spacey, Bob Balaban, John Hurt, Laura Dern, Denis Leary, Ed Begley Jr., Tom Wilkinson

The Bad!

Jellyfish [Meduzot] - dir. Shira Geffen, Etgar Keret - Israel/France - Zeitgeist - with Sarah Adler, Gera Sandler, Noa Knoller, Ma-nenita De Latorre, Zaharira Harifai

Shutter - dir. Masayuki Ochiai - USA - 20th Century Fox - with Rachael Taylor, Joshua Jackson, Megumi Okina

The Wackness - dir. Jonathan Levine - USA - Sony Pictures Classics - with Josh Peck, Ben Kingsley, Olivia Thirlby, Famke Janssen, Jane Adams, Mary-Kate Olsen, Method Man

No comments: