30 October 2008

Just in Time (Sorta)...

It's been nearly twenty years since the force known as Grace Jones has released a studio album, and as of Tuesday, her latest album Hurricane is finally out (at least in Japan). It'll make its official US release on the 18th of November, but that doesn't mean you have to wait... the entire album is streaming on her myspace page. And, it's wonderful. It's not too late to change your Halloween costume to your Grace Jones of choice. My friend Bradford has already covered Christmas Grace, as well as View to a Kill Grace, but don't let that stop you. For a taste, check out the official video for her first single, "Corporate Cannibal," below.

3 comments:

neuroglyphix said...

That video/song = fantastic/marvelous.

reassurance said...

Agreed/agreed. I had certain reservations about the song/video upon first encountering it. For starters, it sure does sound a helluva lot like like Massive Attack. It's also a bit distracting to hear Grace reference herself ("Slave to the rhythm"), as it seems out of character for her. And, to a certain extent, the video reminds me of Björk's "Pagan Poetry," albeit without the fetish element. Needless to say, I got over all of these qualms quickly, though I have to say it's the first time something Jones has done that's made me correlate to the work of others; she's always so unclassifiable, so Grace...

neuroglyphix said...

Didn't make the connection until after you mentioned it, & eventhough I can see what you mean, they're still pretty dissimilar. But sweet crippled christ I forgot how beauteous that Björk video is.

My fascination with Ms. Jones started as an avid MTV viewing 8-year-old. Saw 'Slave to the Rhythm' late at night & at that time that video & Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' were these stop-motion masterpieces that made my eyes & mouth water.

Said fascination continued when I realized Grace never ages. And therefore looks gorgeous at 60.