04 February 2009

Pushed, Crashed, Kicked

How many words are in the English language? A lot. Which is why I can't for the life of me understand why filmmakers choose to throw a title on their movie that's already been used. As I'm pretty useless at detecting sarcasm via the Internet, I actually thought Aaron Hillis at GreenCine Daily mistook that upcoming Dakota Fanning sci-fi flick Push with the Push that won the top prize at Sundance a few weeks ago on his Facebook page. The latter has been retitled Push: Based on the Novel by Sapphire, in order to distinguish itself from that other flick, but this is a trend that needs to stop. Because of this duplicity, I have to add "the David Cronenberg one" whenever I feel the need to bring up Crash, though it's a lot easier to just say "the good one." The same can be said for Kicking & Screaming, though I have no real preference between the Noah Baumbach one or the Will Ferrell one, so "the good one" doesn't really work there. On a side note, very little problems have arose in distinguishing between the two Party Girls (Nicholas Ray or Parker Posey) or The Rivers (you've got at least three notable films there: the Jean Renoir, the Tsai Ming-liang and the Sissy Spacek/Mel Gibson one). I guess the only solution for one of my greatest pet peeves is to just think of the same-name titles as one film. For Push, you've got Dakota Fanning as an illerate pregnant teen with telekinetic powers and Mariah Carey as her caseworker. And for Crash, Sandra Bullock is a racist who gets turned on by car crashes. Fine by me.

No comments: