15 September 2009

Toronto Deals, Part 1

The first three major deals of Toronto have been made, as Kino picks up Yorgos Lanthimos' Dogtooth, IFC buys Nicolas Winding Refn's Valhalla Rising and The Weinsteins drop seven figures on Tom Ford's A Single Man. It looks as though TWC is going to push A Single Man for this year's award season, gauging Hollywood's love for the tortured homosexuals in prestige pictures. The fashion designer's directorial debut stars Colin Firth (who won the Best Actor prize at Venice a few days ago; though for my money, if I'm going to see Firth gaying it up, my money's with Apartment Zero), Julianne Moore, Ginnifer Goodwin and Matthew Goode. After the Pusher series and Bronson, I can't get excited over anything Nicolas Winding Refn is up to, but I'm extremely excited about the Dogtooth deal. Expect more purchases later this week; Sony Pictures Classics hasn't even made their first bite yet.

No comments: