23 February 2008

Best Actress

Nominees: Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: The Golden Age), Julie Christie (Away from Her), Marion Cotillard (La Vie en rose), Laura Linney (The Savages) and Ellen Page (Juno).

Who Should Win: Marion Cotillard (La Vie en rose)

I hate biopics, and seldom am I impressed with the actors who place themselves in them (exception of course given to Helen Mirren), but Marion Cotillard's performance as the tragic French singer Edith Piaf is shattering. There's a sincere distinction between her Piaf versus, say, Jamie Foxx's Ray Charles in that she's not delivering an impersonation; she's literally possessed. I haven't seen such a rapturous transformation portrayed anywhere since I saw Christine Ebersole on Broadway as Little Edie in Grey Gardens.

The WTF? Nominee: Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: The Golden Age)

I understand the Academy loves Cate Blanchett to death, even more so than Kate Winslet as Ms. Blanchett has a trophy to her name... but nominating her for Elizabeth: The Golden Age? Ridiculous. Not only was she better in the original, but she's... dare I say... kind of hammy in the unnecessary and stale sequel. And not hammy in a good way, like she was during that scene in Notes on a Scandal. Whether you agree with the hamminess or not, you have to admit, from an actress as ranged and talented as she, her Elizabeth was Blanchett on autopilot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the reason I so enjoy your blog is that we agree on all the important points. I'm with you on the shock of watching Piaf almost reborn, and on the cardboard quality of CB's Golden Age performance; mostly, though, I am with you on the need to post photos of the perfect Helen Mirren whenever possible.

tandy