01 December 2008

...And John Waters' Best of 2008

Looks like John Waters has posted his annual best of the year list via Artforum, naming a tie for the top slot: Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona ("gives heterosexuality a good name!") and Christophe Honoré's Love Songs. I always feel like I'm just one-off with the Prince of Filth, this year being his inclusion of Harmony Korine's Mister Lonely, which I would have hated if it deserved that much energy. And I love that he described Julianne Moore in Savage Grace as "the best Isabelle Huppert performance of the year." The list is as follows, though I suggest you follow the link as his brief run-downs are highly amusing:

1. (tie) Vicky Cristina Bareclona - dir. Woody Allen; Love Songs [Les chansons d'amour] - Christophe Honoré
2. Mister Lonely - dir. Harmony Korine
3. Savage Grace - dir. Tom Kalin
4. Man on Wire - dir. James Marsh
5. The Last Mistress [Une vieille maîtresse] - dir. Catherine Breillat
6. My Winnipeg - dir. Guy Maddin
7. The Wrestler - dir. Darren Aronofsky
8. Taxi to the Dark Side - dir. Alex Gibney
9. Milk - dir. Gus Van Sant
10. Cassandra's Dream - dir. Woody Allen

No comments: